Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Introducing the Metro Core Workout

Down on the 41, back on the 303. That was my commute yesterday. Both Metro buses were SRO, which is fairly typical. It’s precisely for that reason I came upon a new workout that engages my core muscles and challenges my balance. In the old days when I had to stand up on bus rides, I’d grab hold of a strap or a bar, and then grip tightly in some weird contortion. My body would swing occasionally, and I’d use my arm/shoulder/back to stay upright. No more. Not since I watched a woman on Metro Bus 41 who wasn’t hanging on – not at all, not even for a second -- for the entire ride downtown. I was not only impressed by her performance, I was determined to achieve similar graceful results. I imagine myself in a zen state, maintaining my balance as the massive bus rolls, turns and brakes.

I’ve been working on this for awhile, but yesterday on the 41 was the best. I got a prime standing spot (how sad that I get excited about getting a good spot to stand on the bus; what about getting to sit?) – near the side exit doors. This is ideal for leaning if you’re reading, and also as a bit of a safety net if you’re doing the Metro Core Workout. Hanging on to nothing, I lifted the pit of my abdomen, stood firm with my quadriceps and wiggled my toes to slightly shift and maintain balance. I was all Tadasana. (Mountain pose-ish.)

Now that I’ve proved to myself I can ride a crowded bus while standing up and without using my hands, I’m back to reading on the bus. Today I let a crowded 41 depart without me so I had a better chance getting a seated reading position on the next one. (This isn’t as much as a sacrifice as it sounds. The 41 comes about every five minutes.)

1 comment:

librarianista said...

I've tried this. In my mind I called it "Bus Surfing." I wasn't that great at it, but it does really seem to work those abdominals.